Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sunday's Post

I can honestly say that Sunday might have been a once-in-a-lifetime kind of a day for me!  (And one that Pete is probably glad he missed!)

Picture this (if you can): a Baptist church, complete with balcony and maybe 1000 people.  Nothing unusual you say.  At least, nothing unusual for the South.  Well, maybe...but most of these 1000 people are dressed in cowboy gear (many hats, bandannas, western shirts - you name it...there it was in all it's country glory!), the worship team is practicing a song about not being a tumbleweed, complete with 2-step moves (I thought about getting the words for Jeff, but I think his 2-step might not cut the mustard - I dunno, call me crazy, but I can't picture it).  Ok...nothing too unusual yet.  Until one of the assistant pastor's rides in on a hobby-horse!  Oh yea...not kidding here - you can't make this stuff up (really, who would think of something like this?)!

But all jesting aside (no, I not jesting about what happen!), it turns out that they are all supporting the western-theme VBS that starting the next day.  (You may be sighing in relief - but we were thinking later...all this western garb came from somewhere...I mean: they owned it!  Freaky...)  And luckily we were undaunted and stayed for the message - it was AMAZING!!!  The guy sounded like someone famous on the radio, great orator and even more amazing heart for the God (even if he did wear a leather vest and a Sheriff's badge).  He was going over Revelation 14; one point he made that was beautiful was the extent that God has gone to show grace and mercy to us.  First with creation screaming out the order with which it's made, then with the Law - clearly laying out how we can never be 'good enough'; next is Christ's arrival, His message and all He did to make a way for us; if none of that is enough God then called preachers and missionaries to explain everything; and finally in the last days God will send angels to tell the people.  But there will be an end to the grace and mercy.  So much of that has been bouncing around as we've been traveling.... 

So if that wasn't enough Morristown, TN had a Dunkin Donuts (complete with rude people!  Ah, I felt right at home!).

After that we made our way to the Cumberland Gap in KY.  Visited the museum in the pouring rain, found a cinema (see Micah's post above - the only thing I'll add is that matinees are $2 - yippee!!!).  By that point the rain had worn itself out and we grabbed a campsite.  No rain, very peaceful - loving it!














The hill next to the tree on the left is actually the Tri-State
'mark' Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky.

2 comments:

  1. I noticed that Ohio isn't on your itinerary. If your plans change, then you are more than welcome to come worship with me at Parkside (where Alistair Begg is Senior Pastor). I can't promise that Alistair will be in the pulpit when you come, but I can promise that the Bible will be taught (without horses or cowboy boots, most likely). :) Please let me know if you're coming through Cleveland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Houston isn't quite as cowboy-esque as other parts of Texas..but my biggest culture shock when I arrived there was my realization that - "I live in a town with a month-long rodeo". Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete